Student Systems Help Center

MyPlan Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Degree audit?

MyPlan uses DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System) to provide a report which reflects your academic progress toward the completion of a degree in your declared or proposed major. By choosing the “Audit Degree” tab within MyPlan, you’re able to run new DARS reports without exiting to Student Personal Services.

The Recent Degree Audits section displays the last seven degree audits you have run through MyPlan. This list does not display recent degree audits run through DARS Student Personal Services.

For any questions about your degree audit, please contact your adviser directly or email the DARS office at

What is a Plan Audit?

A Plan Audit compares your planned, currently registered, and completed courses with the requirements for your chosen degree or program. To run a Plan Audit, you must first add courses to your plan for future quarters. Once you have added courses, navigate to the “Audit your Plan” page by selecting the link located in the navigation sidebar. From there, verify that your campus location is selected and choose your program from the drop-down menu. Select the “Audit Plan” button to run your report.

Remember that a plan audit is for planning purposes only, and is not an official report of progress. UW students, meet with your adviser to verify that the courses you’ve taken and those you’re planning will meet your specific degree and graduation requirements.

Will placeholders effect how the plan audit works?

Adding a course placeholder like CHEM 1xx or VLPA to your plan will help remind you of your goals once you’re ready to pick a specific class. On the Academic Year plan page, you have the option to add courses manually, add previously bookmarked courses, or add placeholders via the “+ Add a course” quick link. Courses with complete course numbers (i.e., CHEM 142) will be included in your plan audit.  However, placeholder courses such as CHEM 1xx or VLPA will not be included in your plan audit.

How do I search for courses?

On the Find Courses page, you can search for courses offered during a specific quarter, search all scheduled quarters, or search the course catalog. Start by selecting a quarter and unchecking the appropriate campuses to narrow your search results. You can filter your search to show open sections only, courses without add codes or faculty numbers, or non-Professional & Continuing Education classes (PCE). You can also filter to include only courses that meet at a specific time or day.

Once you have selected your preferred filters you can now search for courses by typing the General Education Requirement, course title, prefix or keyword in the search box. The auto suggest drop-down provides suggestions for searches based on your entry. You can search for any combination of General Education Requirements, course titles, prefixes, or keywords.

General Education Requirements are requirements necessary to graduate with an undergraduate degree from UW that my relate to requirements for a specific major, and include: 

  • Diversity (DIV)
  • English Composition (C)
  • Individuals and Societies (I&S)
  • Natural World (NW)
  • Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning (QSR)
  • Visual, Literary and Performing Arts (VLPA)
  • Writing (W)

No Results Found

All courses published in the course catalog are listed in MyPlan.  However, only sections for standard campus courses, ROTC, and Professional and Continuing Education Time Schedules are currently included in MyPlan. Sections offered as Early Fall Start are not listed. For more information on Early Fall Start please visit their website.

Still can’t find what you’re looking for? Search for courses in the Course Catalog or the Time Schedule.
More information about searching for courses, including step-by-step quick guides for search filters, advanced search, and general education requirement search can be found here.

All of the classes I want are full. Can MyPlan notify me when a seat opens?

Yes!  MyPlan is linked with Notify.UW to ensure you’re notified as soon as a seat becomes available. Navigate to the Quarter view for courses already in your plan or to the Course Details page for the courses that you’re interested in. Choose the menu button next to the section(s) that you want an alert for, and select the action that says, “Subscribe to Section Availability Notifications”. A light box will open on-screen where you can set up your Notify.UW profile and choose between email or text notifications for the sections that you’re interested in.

You can modify your Notify.UW settings from the MyPlan header in the drop-down menu under your name.

Why does a course or section have enrollment restrictions?

Enrollment in a particular section of a course may be restricted for a variety of reasons:

restr – indicates there are Class, Major, or College requirements that restrict registration into this section.

> – Add Code required

IS – Independent Study; Faculty Code required

To display restriction details, click on the section’s Schedule Line Number (SLN) or check the section details.

While MyPlan allows you to create an academic plan, it does not currently check your eligibility for planned courses or sections.

Total enrollment and overall course enrollment limit information is updated every few minutes. Some jointly-offered courses are subject to a joint limit (not shown) which is why a course may be marked as closed even though it appears to have fewer students enrolled than the section limit.

An “E” after the limit means this is an enrollment estimate rather than a limit. A course with an enrollment estimate closes when the enrollment equals the room capacity or when the enrollment estimate limit is reached if there is no room capacity.

If a course has been suspended, it has been closed for registration but the department may open it again. While you can’t register for it right now, you might still be able to at some point. If your section has been suspended, you can check with the department to see if it will become available again during the quarter. In the meantime, you should choose a different section to add to your plan.

If a section has been withdrawn, it will not be offered for the quarter. Registration has been closed and it will not reopen for that quarter.

Since neither suspended nor withdrawn sections appear in the Time Schedule, you will want to select another section or course to take in place of your original choice.

What are jointly offered courses?

Some UW courses are “jointly offered”, which means one course is offered under two names. An example is COM 440/POL S 461: Mass Media Law. COM 440 and POL S 461 are the same course, same times and places, same instructor. In the time schedule these courses have the notation “J”, and if you click on the SLN you’ll see the other name that the course is offered under. You can enroll in a jointly offered course under either title, and the tip is that there may be registration restrictions under one title but not under the other, or one may be full while the other is still open. Always check under both titles!

Why don’t I see any possible schedules in Schedule Builder?

By default, Schedule Builder only returns schedules with course sections that are open for enrollment and that do not conflict with courses you are currently registered for or blocked times that you have added to the calendar.  If you receive no schedules from Schedule Builder, try the following:

–Check the appropriate boxes in the Schedule Builder header to include courses with closed sections or that may conflict with your registered courses. You can also try including sections offered by UW PCE.

–Remove excluded block times from your schedule.

If you continue having trouble receiving schedules from Schedule Builder, consider adding a different set of courses to your plan.
More information about Schedule Builder, including a step-by-step quick guide, can be found here.

How do I view UW equivalencies for classes I’ve already taken elsewhere?

For students who have taken or are planning to take courses at one of Washington State’s Community and Technical Colleges (CTC), MyPlan offers the ability to determine how those courses may transfer to the UW.  Found on the Audit page within MyPlan, under the “Your Transfer Courses” tab, this feature allows students to upload their unofficial CTC transcripts of courses taken, or manually enter courses being considered. It is meant as an unofficial report only, and does not replace or supersede official transcript evaluations. CTC coursework will continue to be officially evaluated for transfer credit  by the Office of Admissions.

Washington State CTC students interested in transferring to UW can add currently enrolled courses, or courses they intend to take, directly to MyPlan to see how that coursework may transfer to the University of Washington.  Use this feature for planning purposes only. It is not an official evaluation of intended academic coursework. Use of this feature will have no bearing on your academic standing or prospective admission to the University of Washington.

MyPlan’s transfer course equivalency features are designed for students of Washington state Community and Technical colleges only. If you’re planning to transfer to the UW from another school, you can still use MyPlan to explore UW courses and degree programs.

How do I register for courses with MyPlan?

Use MyPlan to easily send your chosen course sections to the registration system each quarter. The MyPlan overview video provides detailed information about how to register in MyPlan.

To register through Schedule Builder, start by adding courses to your plan. Navigate to the “Build Your Schedule” page to view and compare your schedule results. Select the “View/Register” link from any of the displayed schedule options in your calendar view, or from your pinned schedules. This will begin the registration handoff process. After choosing and submitting your preferred sections, you’ll be directed to the registration system in a new window.

You can also initiate the registration handoff process by using the Registration box, located at the top of each page. Begin by adding scheduled courses and sections to your plan. Check the box details to see that your chosen course sections ready to send to registration, and select the “Register” button to begin the registration handoff process.

If your registration is successful, you’ll see a schedule updated registration confirmation screen, which will open in a separate window.
Remember that while MyPlan allows you to plan for any course or section and send the SLNs for those associated sections to the registration system, it does not check that you have satisfied requisites or prerequisites, and it does not guarantee that you are able to register for those sections.

What is preventing me from Registering for my courses?

The Register button will become active once your registration time begins and when you have one or more courses ready for registration. Registration will only apply to courses that are ready for registration. If you have courses listed as not ready, you can learn more about why they are considered not ready by selecting View Issues. You will be taken to a page that provides detailed information about what is wrong with your selected courses, and the option to make revisions.

You may see one or more of the following messages:

  1.      Needs one Seminar or one Independent Study.
  2.      Needs one Lecture.
  3.      Needs a Quiz Section.
  4.      Needs a Lab.
  5.      Not offered for the selected quarter.

You may see the following messages in case of time conflicts.

  1.      Time conflict between the lectures selected.
  2.      Time conflict with a quiz section selected.

Once you resolve the issue listed, your course will show as ready to register, and will be included in the registration handoff.
You can find out when your registration period begins by viewing the UW academic calendar.

Who can I contact for additional help?

Need help with... Get answers from...
Learning how to use MyPlan
More about MyPlan features
MyPlan Help Center Site
Add codes
Open/closed sections
Planning prerequisites
Graduation requirements
Undergraduate students:
Departmental adviser
Department advising directory

Graduate students:
Your faculty adviser or GPA

Gen Ed requirements
Area of knowledge requirements
Interpreting Degree audits
Selecting courses
Undergraduate Academic Advising

Graduate Enrollment Management Services

Can’t log on
Can’t view MyPlan
Other technical problems
Other questions
Feature requests
MyPlan technical support